If you're ever curious about DIY beauty and home products...Pinterest has a million different posts you can peruse through at your leisure. It so happens to be where I found the recipe I used and tweaked myself!
- 2-3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Essential oil (scent of your choice) - I chose to use a grapefruit bergamot scent
- Small jar
- Stirring utensil (I used a chopstick)
- My measurements for the dry ingredients were approximations since I kept trying to get a bit of a more solid consistency than what I got with the original recipe. I kept in mind though that adding too much baking soda could cause some irritation under my arms, so after pouring in two tablespoons (roughly), I would just add more arrowroot powder if the consistency was still too liquid.
- You might need more essential oils than you think unless you just want to smell like coconut (which isn't bad either!). I used approximately 30 drops.
- Keep stirring, stirring, stirring! It'll be a bit goopy to start, but once it settles in the jar and it's stored in a cool dark place in your bathroom, it'll turn into a solid state that will melt in your finger tips, making it easier to apply. Yes, this deodorant you're going to have to spread over your underarms with your fingers. You get used to it, don't worry!
- All in all, this was super cheap and easy to make. The jar cost me $2 at the Soap Dispensary (but you can use any other existing old jam or canning jar you already have. Also, the bottle of essential oil (which I still have tons of and will probably last me the next year) cost me $7. Everything else I already had in my pantry!